Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fasting

I shivered in the cold morning sun, and Ana wrapped her tiny arms around me. Her body offered me no warmth, so i dashed to my car and cranked the heater up, praying that it would hurry up and get warm as i froze my way to work.
"Early mornings suck," i said to Ana. "Seriously, who wants to get up at 6 am just to go to work? And it's not even like anyone comes to the store that early anyway."
She shrugged mutely.
"What's on your mind?" i asked.
"I'm just trying to figure out a way to get your work out in today."
"Oh, right. I thought about that last night, and it's seriously impossible. I'm going to work until 1; i'll get home at 1:30, get a shower. Then at 2:30 i'll be on my way to Brandon's place. It's just not going to fit in."
She sighed. "I know." She looked dejected for only a moment, but soon her face brightened. "Maybe you could make it a fast day then!" she exclaimed. "Your mom will never know that you skipped eating. She'll know you didn't eat lunch of course, but she has no clue you didn't have breakfast, and you can tell her you got dinner with Brandon, yes?"
It sounded like a horrible idea. (I won't lie, I wanted to eat everything i saw.) But as i glanced in the rear-view mirror and saw my face, i remembered my friend Cindy's words, "You look like you've filled out a bit more than in school. It looks good on you, but your face looks fuller." Who cares if it's "in a good way"?! There is no good way to have "filled out." I nodded. "Ok, Ana, a fast day it is."
She smiled and clapped her bony hands together delightedly. They cracked loudly in the cold air. She rubbed them together for warmth and turned the heater up a little bit more. "Excellent," she said with a grin.
And i took a huge gulp of my coffee to scald my tongue. No sense eating something if i couldn't taste it anyway.

10 comments:

  1. I'm fasting too! Woohoo.


    Also I agree WHY THE FUCK IS IT SO COLD???? I live in fucking GEORGIA and I can't stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're posting more often now, I love hearing from you (:
    Good luck with the fast day! It seems like a lot of people are fasting lately? But I'm sure you'll do great
    Have fun at Brandons!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're going well :)

    Hmm I hardly ever comment here sorry, its just it reads so very much like a story, and it some how feels strange to comment on a story and I forget its just another blogger that's writing it tehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck for your fast today. Stay strong! I succeed mine yesterday. So if I can do this, I know you can too.
    Keep strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm fasting too. Make sure you drink lots of water! Stay strong and have fun with Brandon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on your fast dearie! So glad that you are blogging more. You are such a beautiful writer. Your posts literally make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are seriously the best writer..in the whole world!! i love reading them all of them!!! and good luck on the fast hun! you have great willpower :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, burning the tongue. I do that almost every day it seems. Isn't that funny how we all do the same things without knowing it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Burning the tongue...NICE! I hadn't really thought of that one!!

    Best of luck with your fast! I'm sure you'll great!

    XO

    ReplyDelete